Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Rainbabies

Title: “The Rainbabies”
Author: Laura Krauss Melmed                                   
Genre: Picture Book/Traditional Folktale                             
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers         
Copyright Date:  2004
Pages in Book: 32 pages
Reading Level: PreK- 3rd grade

Summary: An elderly couple is saddened by the fact that they haven’t been able to have children. One night, there was a rainstorm and lightening hit the ground. They ran outside, and found several extremely tiny babies lying on the ground. They take them inside and care for them, taking them places, and enjoying them. One night, their mother comes for them. The elderly couple is distraught and doesn’t want to give them up. The rainbabies mother helps the adopted mother realize that the babies need her in order to grow, and in exchange, she gives them a baby of their own. The baby girl grows up and the elderly couple finds the joy that they were missing.

Reaction: I loved this book. I enjoyed the illustration and was captivated by the story. The story line was a little slow, and I was more into the pictures than the story.

Recommendation: I would probably would recommend this story to only younger children. I don’t think that the older children would enjoy this book.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: I thought that the story was rather boring, but that was my only problem that I had with the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment