Monday, February 14, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Title: “The Very Hungry Caterpillar”
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Picture Book                       
Publisher: Philomel Books
Copyright Date: 1994
Pages in Book: 13
Reading Level: PreK-1 grade

Summary: This is a book about a baby caterpillar who doesn’t know what to eat, so he starts eating food. Day by day he eats one more piece of food than the last. By day six, he is so full that he has an awful tummy ache, and decides to eat just a leaf. Satisfied, he takes a little nap, and turns into a chrysalis. Eventually he turns into a beautiful butterfly.

Reaction: I thought this was a cute book, and one that I’m pretty sure I absolutely loved when I was a little child. The colors were beautiful, and they just popped out, as to capture the children’s attention. I think this is an excellent book to help the children begin to learn to count.

Recommendation: I definitely would recommend this book to children. But like the reading level says, pre K through first grade. I think past first grade, the children would have a hard time having their attention kept.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: The only problem I had with this book, (that I remember as I was a kid) was that I thought the illustrations were a bit creepy, and the caterpillar looked slightly scary to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment