Monday, February 14, 2011

Santa's Book of Names

Title: “Santa’s Book of Names”
Author: David McPhail
Genre: Picture Book     
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company   
Copyright Date: 1993
Pages in Book: 32 pages
Reading Level: PreK- 3 grade

Summary: Edward is a young boy who had a hard time reading. His teachers grow worried and try to get his parents to allow them to do tests on Edward, but they say that the teachers need patience. He’ll learn when he’s ready. One night, he hears a noise and runs downstairs only to find that Santa has already come and gone. Then he notices an old book by the chimney. It’s Santa’s book of names of all the children in the world. He runs outside, but is too late for he sees Santa’s sleigh flying off. He decides to write the letters B. O. O. K. out in the snow. Santa soon reappears and asks Edward to come along and read the names and presents to him as he goes to each house. Unable to do so, he goes along and holds open the pages for Santa to read. They cross the big ocean and a bird knocks off Santa’s glasses! Edward is forced to try and read the names and presents now. Slowly, but surely he reads off the names. After all the deliveries were done, Santa gives Edward the last gift. A book. Next thing Edward knows, his mother is waking him up, and it’s Christmas day. His dad sees that Santa gave him a book, and Edward surprises them by reading it to them.

Reaction: I loved this book. I loved the message that it sent out to the children, and I loved how well it was written. The illustration was wonderful, and overall I was thoroughly impressed with how well done it was. I remember my mom reading this book to me when I was younger, and I still get the same feeling I did back then. This book was done wonderfully.

Recommendation: Although this book is recommended for children from the ages of pre-kindergarten to third grade, I would actually recommend it to children of all ages. Probably not for actual reading, but if it were around Christmas time, I believe that ANY child would love to hear it. I like how the author let the children who actually do have reading challenges know that it’s alright, and when they are ready, they’ll learn to read as well.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: The only problem that I had with this book, as minor as it was, was the fact that the pictures were a little dark. I would have liked the colors to be a little bit more bright and captivating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment