Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Anne of Green Gables

Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author: Lucy Maud Montgomery
Genre: Novel
Publisher: Random House Children’s Books
Copyright Date: 1982
Pages in Book: 308 pages
Reading Level: 12 and up

Summary: Anne Shirley is adopted (by accident) by Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. The brother and sister need help on their farm Green Gables, and Anne is more than willing to help. She’s very quick, talkative, and has an imagination like no one can believe. She would’ve loved to go by the name of Cordelia, because she thinks it’s a beautiful name, and although she doesn’t consider herself as beautiful, she still loves the name. She quickly wins over Marilla and Matthew, because of how open and talkative she is. She has a best friend named Diana and together they hate Gilbert Blythe. After a while, Anne realizes that she no longer hates Gilbert, and they become the best of friends. She has several fun adventures with Diana, Jane and Ruby. Anne grows up and soon leaves Green Gables to go to college. Matthew dies of a heart attack, and after the funeral, Marilla learns of a bank failure. Her eyesight is failing, and because of this, Anne returns to the farm, turning down a scholarship and helps Marilla out on the farm.

Reaction: I thought that this book was incredible. It was a very sweet story, and a lot of what happened to Anne, reminded me of my childhood. She was such a happy child, and I love that she was able to make a strong relationship with her adopted parents. The author did an incredible job on this book, and kept my attention the entire time.

Recommendation: I’d recommend this story to every single child, preferably girls. But the boys might not like it as much. It was very well written, but I think I’d recommend this book to older girls, because there are some words that the children wouldn’t know or understand.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: Honestly, I don’t have a single problem with this book. It was full of adventure, emotions, imagination, etc. It was very well written, and I couldn’t find a problem with this book, even if I wanted to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment