Sunday, March 27, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author: J. K. Rowlings
Genre: Fantasy/Thriller
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Copyright Date: 2009
Pages in Book: 759 pages
Reading Level: 9-11 years

Summary: Dumbledore has just died, and Harry, Ron and Hermione decide to leave the Hogwarts school to find the remaining  horcruxes before Voldermort does, so that they can destroy him. Unfortunately, they don’t know anything about the horcruxes. They don’t know where they are, what they are, or what they do. They find the first several rather easily, (Slytherin’s locket and the Sword of Gryffindor). The three decide to return back to the school to find another horcrux, but quickly learn that Voldemort and his follwers have taken over the school . Harry, Hermione, and Ron and all of Harry’s followers go into battle, and several die. It isn’t until after Severus Snape dies, that Harry learns that he is the seventh and final horcrux, and in order to defeat Voldemort, Harry must die. The book ends with Harry defeating Voldemort after he dies, and then he comes back to life because of the love of his mother. After the end of the book, it shows nineteen years in the future. Harry and Ginny Weasley are married, as are Ron and Hermione. Both families have children, and one of Harry’s kids are about to enter into Hogwarts, but is scared that he may end up in Slytherin.

Reaction: I absolutely loved this book. I read all of them, and by the time that I read this one (for the second time) I cried just as much as I did the first time. I was so touched by all the people, willing to die for Harry and what he was fighting for. Personally, I made the connect that it was very much like our Heavenly Father and Jesus, where Jesus died so that the good can prosper. I felt that this book was very much related to the Church, and a lot of the connections that were made, reminded me of how lucky I was that Christ died so that we can join to be with him again.

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to children and parents alike. I think it’s a great book that can bring the family together (as long as all the other books in the novel) It has several similies in the book, and the words and names are challenging ones, ones that the children would need the help of their parents to read to.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: The only problem that I might have towards this book, is that this particular book is somewhat violent, and if younger children were reading this, I’d be a little nervous as to how they would react to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment