Monday, March 28, 2011

The Hundred Dresses

Title: The Hundred Dresses
Author: Eleanor Estes
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Copyright Date: 2004
Pages in Book: 96 pages
Reading Level: 6-10 years

Summary: This book is about a young girl named Wanda Petronski, who is teased and picked on in school. Her fellow schoolmates make fun of her for her last name and her faded dresses. One day, Wanda claims that she owns one hundred dresses at her home, and every day, they corner her and have her describe all of her different dresses. Wanda leaves the school, and it isn’t until after she leaves that a drawing contest proves that she was telling the truth about it all.

Reaction: I thought that this story was very cute, and one that I would read again. It made me realize what children really can be like, and I thought that the author did an excellent job. It captured my attention the entire time, and I literally wanted to see what the dresses all looked like. To have that kind of an imagination is amazing!

Recommendation: I’d read this to any girl reader. Obviously no boy would want to read a story about girls and dresses, but I think that it’s one that the littler girls would thoroughly enjoy and want to read.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: I didn’t see any problems with this book. I didn’t like the fact that the girls would make fun of Wanda, but it made the story that much more interesting at the end of the book when the girls were proven wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment