Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Single Shard

Title: A Single Shard
Author: Linda Sue Park
Genre: Historical Novel
Publisher: Random House Audio
Copyright Date: 2004
Pages in Book: 152 pages
Reading Level: 12 and up

Summary: This is about a twelve year old boy named Tree-ear, who lives under a bridge in Korea. He loves watching Min make pottery, and one day he sneaks into the potters house to look at all the creations. Tree-ear accidently breaks a box, and in order to pay the potter back, he must work off this debt for nine days. Tree-ear then attempts to make his own pot, but never gets the chance. In the end of the story, Min (the potter)’s son dies.

Reaction: It was really hard for me to get into this book. I didn’t find it very entertaining, and a lot of the time, I would get caught up in the fact that I couldn’t pronounce the character’s names. It was just a difficult book for me to read, and I didn’t find it very interesting.  

Recommendation: I’m not so sure I’d recommend this book to many people. But on the other hand, I know a lot of people in the classroom thought it was an amazing book. I think I’d leave this as an option for my future students to read.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: I just didn’t’ like the book. I didn’t think it was written very well, and I wasn’t impressed with the creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment