Monday, March 28, 2011

The Rainbow Fish

Title: The Rainbow Fish
Author: Marcus Peister
Genre: Picture Book
Publisher: North-South Books, Inc.
Copyright Date: 1999
Pages in Book: 32 pages
Reading Level: infants- 5 years

Summary: This is a cute story about a once rude, stuck up fish who had the most beautiful scales in the entire water. One day, a little blue fish asked him for a scale, and he angrily said no. After that, all the other fish (having heard what happened) refused to talk to him. He became miserable, and swam around, saddened that there was no one that would talk to him or admire his scales. So he went to go see the wise octopus. She/he told the rainbow fish that in order to be happy, he had to give away his silver shiny scales. He had a hard time overcoming that, but when the little blue fish returned and asked him again for a scale, Rainbow Fish hesitantly gave him one. The joyful look on that fish’s face filled Rainbow Fish with joy, and each time after that (when he had to give away a scale) he did it with joy and pleasure.

Reaction: I really enjoyed this story. I thought it was cleverly made, and I thought that the message of sharing was clear and appropriate. I think that the children who read this book would thoroughly enjoy the book, and if anything, it will make them interested in fish!

Recommendation: I’d recommend this to any child. I think all children should read this book.

Potential Problems/Conflicts: I don’t have a single problem with this book. I thought it was well written and very nicely done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment